- oppapology likes this
- thepurplequeenling reblogged this from supersandys-space
- hieroglyphical reblogged this from iamthecrime
- supersandys-space reblogged this from sparklespook
- xmasandribena reblogged this from panasonicyouth
- hieroglyphical likes this
- supersandys-space likes this
- thymelock reblogged this from jackaldope
- otherxcore likes this
- freestatefeminist reblogged this from workingforvacation
- thoughshesfeminine reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- hitb-ck reblogged this from newwavefeminism
- plasticpiranhas reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- impromptuonedykedanceparty reblogged this from fivelettered
- hellxiareblog reblogged this from tombtrash
- notyrbasic reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- killerkhaleesi reblogged this from jessicavalenti
- worldcoup reblogged this from arulpragasams and added:
- evelark likes this
- aleimina likes this
- dressesandyarn reblogged this from garconniere
- luxurytight reblogged this from arulpragasams
- glamor-pants likes this
- dropkicks reblogged this from panasonicyouth
- nekomimiclay likes this
- poison--paradigm reblogged this from biyuti
- revolutionaryrainbows reblogged this from maarnayeri
- trashprincesss likes this
- spinsteraunt likes this
- abrokenfishbowl reblogged this from nonaraptor and added:
- munod likes this
- macaulaybulkin likes this
- nevertrustacelebrity reblogged this from huntswoman
- nonaraptor reblogged this from fergatroid and added:
- spacefold likes this
- theendisnoprocess-clearing reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard
- fergatroid reblogged this from desliz and added:
- imathers likes this
- queerindigenology likes this
- smokinhotmess likes this
- jesusmaryandjosephclosethewindow reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard and added:
- blackamazon likes this
- katewadkins likes this
- yokellyyyyy likes this
- noteleanor likes this
- roadhouses likes this
- opinion8d likes this
- shesgonnachangetheworld reblogged this from panasonicyouth
- lilithlaquim reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
For one of the first times, the music I loved loved me back.
GROSSSSSSSSSSS TO THE MAX.
WHAT THE FUCK.
Like, please. Fuck off, Valenti.
“For one of the first times, the music I loved loved me back?” Is that some kind of bullshit dig at the rest of the rap music, the “big, black scary misogynistic” kind you white feminists love to shit on? Is that some kind of not-that-subliminal message that you couldn’t stomach rap music unless it was at the hands of three white men who occasionally said some shit about abuse because it’s not like black rap artists never talked about sexism? I guess the other topics discussed in rap/hip-hop never really spoke volumes to you, huh?
For you to elevate the Beastie Boys as some kind of representatives for “the music you loved” (rap) when in reality they were and have always been a minority in said genre, like. You are showing your ass real good. Real fucking good.
Let’s be real: the Beastie Boys were great to some people and that’s fine. But you know what bugs me about them and subsequently this article? The fact that all it took for them to make a name was being white boys in a black genre and speaking up. I’m not even going to talk about their anti-sexist ideals—wonderful things were done and I won’t deny that, but people stay acting like the Beasite Boys were some kind of feminist island in a genre full of black men who like talking about bitches. Fuck that. Y’all can keep trying to erase the efforts of anti-sexist black rappers, but I won’t.
I’m glad it took the Beastie Boys speaking up about shit only you care about for you to realize that “[rap] loved you back,” Valenti—but it’s whatever.
The Beastie Boys invented positive hip-hop now, hm? Heavy D, The Roots, Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, De La Soul, KRS One, just off the top of my head, were all around during the same time and preceded those white dudes.
It is cool to acknowledge the contributions of MCA and the Beastie Boys, hell, half the artists I named above did just that when Adam Yauch passed. But why is it always necessary frame it in a way that generalizes and denigrates the whole rest of the genre in a way no one EVER does to other genres of music? just shut the fuck up sometimes.